... click here to view this listing
Receive new property offers directly in your emal. When you don't want to receive it anymore sign out with one click.
Churches, monasteries, convents, palaces, Kotor - Montenegro
St. Tryphon's Cathedral is certainly the most beautiful and the most significant church monument in the town. It was built and consecrated in 1166. The earthquakes considerably changed the original looks of the cathedral. The Romanesque bell towers were replaced with the new ones made in Baroque style, as well as the dome, and pilasters were covered in Korcula stone tiles. Which attracts special attention are the rosettes on the facade which used to be of Romanesque style, but today they are profiled with Gothic-Renaissance motifs.
St. Tryphon's Cathedral possesses a treasury rich in paintings, among which are the works of local painters - Lovro Marinov Dobricevic from the 15th centuryand Tripo Kokolja from the 17th century, as well as some works of foreign masters - Paolo Veronese, Gerolemo Di Santa Croce, to name but a few. The cathedral storesa rich collection of golden relics, which are the works of art of Kotor goldsmiths, from the period between the 14th and 18th centuries, the most precious among them being the golden plate of the main altar. The interior of the cathedral was fresco-painted - the work of art of Greek masters - pictores graeci. The most significant part of the interior decoration of the cathedral is the Romanesque-Gothic ciborium from the 14th century, which is located above the main altar.
St. Lucas's Church is situated in the centre of the urban core of Kotor. The church was built in 1195. Up to the mid-17th century this had been a Catholic church, when it was handed over to the Orthodox inhabitants of Kotor. However, the Catholics retained the right to have one altar for their own use. The iconostas of the church is the work of art of Dimitrije Daskal, the founder of the Boka Kotorska Rafailovic iconographic school, from the 17th century. This is the only edifice in the town that did not suffer significant destruction during the earthquake. The floor in the church consists of tombstones on the joint tombs of the citizens of Kotor, since until the 1830's burials were being carried out in the church itself.
Santa Anna's Church dates back to the end of the 12th century. In the interior of the church frescoes were discovered, which are the work of art of LovroMarinov Dobricevic from the 15th century.
St. Mary's Church was built in 1221 on the site of an earlier pre-Romanesque church. In its interior, there are the remains of fresco paintings from the end of the 14th century, as well as an Early Christian baptistery.
St. Michael's Church was erected at the end of the 14th century. The Interior of the church was partly fresco painted. Today, this church houses the town's lapidarium (collection of rocks and minerals).
St. Joseph's Church is located next to the very slope of St. John's Hill. In the church there is an interesting altar from the 18th century, a work of art of a famous master, Cabianca. On the floor of the church there are several tombstones, with the coats of arms of famous families from Kotor.
St. Paul's Church was originally a Romanesque church, only to be considerably reconstructed at a later stage. The fragments of the frescoes date back from the 15th century.
Santa Clara's Church was erectedin the 14th century. Particularly attractive are beautiful marble altars, the work of art of the sculptor Francesco Cabianca.
Holy Spirit Church was built in the 15th century. Today, it is the concert hall of the Music School.
Our Lady of Health Church dates back from the 15th century. It was built half way up St. John's Hill. Following numerous plague epidemics, this church became a votive church.
St. Nicholas's Church is of a more recent date. It was built in 1909 in the Serbian-Byzantine style. It possesses a rich collection of icons and a beautiful iconostasis made by Cigler, a Czech artist.
Our Lady's Temple is the parish church of Prcanj, dedicated to the Birth ofthe HolyVirgin.lt was made of Korcula stone in Baroque style. The construction lasted 120 years, up to 1909. Inside the church, there are two gilded altars, the only of their kind in the Boka. The particularly significant icon "The Holy Virgin of Prcanj" from the 16th century is the work of art of an anonymous artist.
St. Nicholas's Church, at Prcanj was erected in the 18th century. It houses a rich library with about 4,000 volumes.
The old parish church, located on the slope of Mount Vrmac, dates back to the 14th century.
St. Matthew's Church is located in the settlement called Dobrota, not far from the centre of the town. It dates back to the 17th century and it was built in late Baroque style. It stores the famous painting of St. Nicholas by Novelli.
St. Eustace's Church in Dobrota was mentioned in the 14th century. Its present-day appearance dates back to the 18th century. It possesses a rich collection of paintings, such as "The Assumption" by Paolo Veronese, or someone from his school. It stores the works of masters Dolci and Potenke and recently discovered painting by Giovanni Bellini. Inside the church there is a beautiful altar of Our Lady of the Rosary.
St. Elijah's Church, at Dobrota,
dates back to the 11 thcentury.lt was built on a rock above the sea.
St. Peter's Church, located in the settlement called Ljuta dates back to the 18th century. In the church, there are three nice marble altars.
There are several other less significant churches in Risan, Stoliv and Orahovac.
Kotor is the town of famous seamen and merchants who left behind beautiful palaces which testify to their times. In the town itself, there are nine of them.
Drago Palace is located on St. Tryphon Square. It was being built in the 14th and the 15th century with all the elements of Gothic style. The palace consists of two wings, the south-western and the northern ones. As a decorative element, very often dragons can be seen, which in fact represents an element from the coat of arms of the Drago family. The windows and portals are profiled in the Gothic style and very nicely finished. The palace was damaged in the earthquakes of the years 1667 and 1979. Today it houses the Regional Institute for the Protection of Cultural Heritage.
Bizanti Palace, is located on Arms Square, the main town square. Onefacade faces the square and the other the street leading to Flour Square. It was built in the 14th century, but following the 1667 earthquake it changed considerably its looks. The northern wing of the palace was added, which is testified to by the coat of arms with the initials of Nikola Bizanti and the year of construction 1674 on the eastern wall of the palace. Both wings are connected by means of the internal courtyard and the staircase which gives a Renaissance form to the palace. The windows, portals, the staircase and the crown of the well with the family coat of arms have characteristics of the Baroque style.
Pima Palace is located on Flour Square. It dominates the square with its beauty. It was built in the Renaissance-Baroque style in the 17th century. Its most valuable detail is the magnificent balcony supported by 12 stone consoles.
The railings of the balcony are the work of Kotor blacksmiths. Above the main portal there is the coat of arms of the Pima family supported by two angels. The palace was restored following the 1979 earthquake.
Grubonja Palace is located near the Northern Gate. The palace dates back from the 16th century. It was built in the Renaissance style with the carved coat of arms of the old town pharmacy.
Beskuca Palace is located in the street which leads from the main town square to Flour Square. It was built in the mid-18th century. It is adorned by a beautiful Gothic portal, one of the most beautiful masterpieces of the Florid-Gothic on the whole eastern Adriatic coast. The palace belonged to the now non-existent Beskuca family which saw its moments of glory at the end of the 18th century, when the family received aristocratic status. After the disappearance of the Beskuca family, at the beginning of the 19th century the palace became the property of the Kotor municipality.
Buca Palace is located on Flour Square, opposite Pima Palace. The present-day appearance does not reflect the historical importance of the Buca family, one of the most significant families of Kotor. The original Gothic palace was built at the beginning of the 14th century, but it was considerably damaged in one of the subsequent earthquakes. It was restored after the 1667 earthquake, when it acquired approximately its present-day form. The only thing that has remained of the luxurious Gothic palace is a biforium on the western side, visible only from the town walls. On the palace there is the coat of arms of the Pasquali family which died out.
Vrachien Palace is located on Salad Square. It dates back to the 18th century, and it was built in the Baroque style. The Baroque interior of the palace has been completely preserved.
Grgurina Palace is located on Museum Square. It was constructed in the 18th century and it belonged to the Grgurina noble family. It was built in the Baroque style, with stone balconies with balustrades dominating the facade. Particularly interesting is the original preserved distribution of rooms, according to the Venetian principle, which states: A master's house has four rooms and a lounge. Today, it houses the Maritime Museum, whose collection demonstrates the development of maritime affairs and cultural level of the inhabitants of the Montenegrin coast and the Boka Kotorska Bay.
The Prince's (Provost's) Palace is a lengthy edifice, which together with the guard tower makes almost the whole western facade of Arms Square, the main town square. It wasbuilt in the 18thcentury. In the past, it was the official residence of the Venetian provosts. It served various military purposes. Although deprived of all architectural decorations, apart from the Renaissance consoles which support the balcony, it still represents one of more significant monuments of architecture of the town of Kotor.
In the vicinity of the town, or more precisely in Dobrota, the palaces of the naval families of Dobrota were built: Tripkovic palace, Ivanovic palace, Radimir-Dabinovic palace, Milosevic" palace, Radimir brotherhood houses, and at Prcanj there still is a gorgeous palace called "TreSorelle" with the old legend about three sisters who were in love with the same sailor.
On Kotor Montenegro web site you will find newly updated property listings from Kotor and whole Montenegro, Kotor accommodation offers (rooms, apartments). Property and accommodation listings for Kotor and Montenegro are pulled from the biggest and daily updated property database in Montenegro.
Koror Montenegro website is part of the largest network of web sites in Montenegro. For more information click here.